Tsi Nitiawén:'en ne Ratitsénhaiens Wahontkennísa
Weekly Council Communique
In an effort to increase transparency between the Mohawk Council of Kahnawá:ke and the community, a Council Communique will be made available on a weekly basis, briefly outlining decisions, reports or issues that were addressed at the regular Monday Council meetings.
COMMUNIQUE – Monday, 13 Enníska/February 2017
The following is a synopsis of the latest Council Meeting
In: Ratitsénhaienhs Joe Norton, Rhonda Kirby, Kenneth McComber, Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer, Clinton Phillips, Christine Zachary-Deom, Billy Diabo, Arlene Jacobs, Carl Horn, Martin Leborgne, Bobby Patton
Out: Ietsénhaienhs Gina Deer (Wellness)
Also Present: Trina Diabo-Jacobs (Council Meeting Administrator) and Winona Polson-Lahache (Chief Political Advisor)
• Change of date for Winter Community Meeting to February 28 due to scheduling issues
• Minutes acceptance for January 23, 2017
• Reading into Minutes of Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada Multi Year Funding Agreement # , Amendment #20
• Christine Zachary-Deom: Justice Commission meeting on Thursday (with Bobby Patton)
• Arlene Jacobs: Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations prep session on Wednesday (with Clinton Phillips and Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer)
• Martin Leborgne: Housing meeting on Monday afternoon
• Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer: Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations meeting in Gatineau (Ottawa) on Thursday
• Billy Diabo: Tioweró:ton meeting on Tuesday; meeting with Canada Border Services Agency on Wednesday; Tioweró:ton Committee meeting and Lands update meeting on Friday (with Clinton Phillips)
• Bobby Patton: attending Treaty Conference in Hamilton, Ontario (with Christine Zachary-Deom) next week
• Clinton Phillips: Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations meeting on Thursday (via teleconference)
• Rhonda Kirby: meeting at Smith’s Falls, Ontario re: Medical Cannabis
• Joe Norton: Kanawaki meeting on Monday (with Carl Horn); Beaconsfield High School visit to MCK on Tuesday; attending Montérégie Regional County event on Friday
Formal Agenda Items:
Request for Decision, Limited Partnership Agreement
Presence of Paul Rice (Executive Financial Officer), Jean Pommainville (MCK Legal Services). Creation of partnership to pursue potential business opportunity. Cost to Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke is one dollar ($1). Passed unanimously.
Request for Decision, Mohawk Council Executive Directive: Organized Crime Initiative, Public Safety Canada
Presence of Ron Skye. Passed unanimously. Formal announcement on this issue is forthcoming.
Request for Decision, Mohawk Council Executive Directive: Multi-Purpose Building
Presence of Lisa Phillips (Kanien’kehá:ka Onkwawén:na Raotitióhkwa) and Trina C. Diabo. Rescinding of Aboriginal Initiatives Fund agreement in order to accommodate new funding arrangements. Work continues on this project, no announcements to be made at this time.
Other Mohawk Council Executive Directives:
• Bobby Patton provided a full update on last week’s Iroquois Caucus meetings held in Ottawa, with input from Martin Leborgne
• Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer requested approval for travel to attend Membership/Citizenship Conference being held in Arizona on March 9 and 10. Granted.
• Billy Diabo updated on recent meetings regarding Border Crossing.
• Joe Norton informed the table that he will be attending a follow-up meeting in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan next Tuesday regarding the Vulnerable Persons project proposed by Forrest Green consultants please note initial meeting held in Kahnawà:ke on January 27th.