Tsi Nitiawén:'en ne Ratitsénhaiens Wahontkennísa
Weekly Council Communique
In an effort to increase transparency between the Mohawk Council of Kahnawá:ke and the community, a Council Communique will be made available on a weekly basis, briefly outlining decisions, reports or issues that were addressed at the regular Monday Council meetings.
COMMUNIQUE – Monday, 24 Onerahtókha/April 2017
The following is a synopsis of the latest Council Meeting
In: Ratitsénhaienhs Joe Norton, Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer, Rhonda Kirby, Kenneth McComber, Gina Deer, Christine Zachary-Deom, Arlene Jacobs, Billy Diabo and Carl Horn
Out: Martin Leborgne (Vacation), Bobby Patton (Vacation Day), Clinton Phillips (Wellness Time in the morning for Appointment)
Also Present: Trina Diabo-Jacobs (Council Meeting Administrator), Dwaine White (General Manager, Office of the Council of Chiefs) and Winona Polson-Lahache (Chief Political Advisor)
• Cheque Signers for the week: Kenneth McComber and Administrative Signer
• Agenda for May 9 Spring Community Meeting is as follows: Land Allotments; Membership & Residency; the proposed New Relationship with Canada (proposed changes to the current Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations process); Highway 30 Court Case update; Kanesatake Court Case update; Open Discussion
• Highway 30 Court Case begins on May 1. Discussion on Chief & Council’s attendance at the proceedings, as tabled by Grand Chief Joe Norton
• Rhonda Kirby: Connecting Horizons and Kahnawake Shakotiia’takéhnhas Community Services meetings on Monday; Kahnawake Fire Brigade meeting on Tuesday; Kateri Memorial Hospital Center board meeting and Labor Office meeting on Wednesday; meeting on Releve-31 taxation issue on Wednesday
• Arlene Jacobs: Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations prep meeting on Monday (with Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer); Kahnawà:ke Membership Law drafting team meeting on Tuesday (with Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer)
• Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer: Kahnawà:ke/Canada Relations Sectoral Table meeting in Gatineau (Ottawa) on Thursday (with Arlene Jacobs); Kahnawake Youth Center board meeting on Thursday; meeting with Coordinator of the Kahnawà:ke Legislative Coordinating Commission on Friday
• Billy Diabo: meeting with Canada Border Services representatives on Tuesday; Tioweró:ton Ad-Hoc Committee meeting on Wednesday; Tioweró:ton Policy review meeting on Thursday; meeting with U.S. Homeland Security representatives on Friday
• Christine Zachary-Deom: out of office on Wednesday morning (Wellness); attending Archaeology Conference at Pointe-à-Callière from Thursday to Saturday
• Kenneth McComber: Finance, Administration & Operations Committee meeting on Friday (with Arlene Jacobs and Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer); out of office on Friday afternoon (Wellness)
• Gina Deer: Conference call regarding Mt. Kaaikop on Monday; Mt. Kaaikop meeting taking place at Mt. Tremblant on Thursday
Formal Agenda Items
Request for Decision: Kelly Lake Cree Nation Loan Request
Presence of Paul Rice. The request to Chief & Council for financial support (loan) for court action that the Kelly Lake Cree Nation is taking was not approved. (On an historical note, the Kelly Lake Crees have a long history with Kahnawà:ke, as approximately 110 trappers from Kahnawà:ke settled in the region in the 1700’s – hence the reason for the relationship and request).
Other Mohawk Council Executive Directives
Discussions took place on the upcoming proposed Residency Law and upcoming A30 Court Case (see Press Release dated April 24 for details).
Christine Zachary-Deom provided a brief update on the Consultation portfolio and of the upcoming Archaeology conference at Pointe-à-Callière.
Meeting was closed at 12:21pm